Monday, August 14, 2006

the week through my eyes







I spent the past week in Jinja, a city about 50 miles north east of Kampala and home to the source of the Nile River.

I was in Jinja for a workshop on HIV/AIDS and food aid. If I had to categorize 3 days of insights, challenges and lessons learned in one sentence: some individuals are relieved to get a positive HIV/AIDS test because this means they may qualify for food aid; they will fall sick in a few years but at least they will eat tomorrow.

Above are photographs of some of what I saw and the people I met. In this small village 26 women and 4 men (all HIV positive) have formed a group in hopes that together they can pool enough resources to grow food for their families, support the orphaned children and support each other through the distress of HIV/AIDS.

(click on the images if you want to see them bigger)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic pictures -- thanks for sharing

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home